Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Pursing..A Visual Odyssey

Warning, picture heavy post to follow!

The knit up purse has been felted. It went from 17 &1/2 inches wide and 14 &1/2 inches tall to 16 &1/2 by 10 &1/2 inches. That's quite a bit wider than I had anticipated.



However, the idea WAS to get a bigger purse. I just hadn't planned on how big! Forging onwards....I wanted a specific type of clasp. I'm not sure what it's called, but I couldn't find one anywhere in town or on the internet. So I had a brilliant idea. I went to the local second hand shop (Value Village, to be exact), found a purse that had the clasp I wanted, bought it for $3.99 and ripped the clasp right off that sucker. This is what I'm talking about:


After much swearing, the clasp was affixed to the new purse. See?


It looks very spiffy, if I do say so myself. Now I have to decide if I want to embellish it. You see, I have a needle felting kit I am dying to try out. So an old felted project was dug out and sacrificed to the gods of experimentation.
And after....

As you can see, there is a definite progression. The paw prints on the left are awful. The ones on the right are definitely better. Personally I like the one that is labelled P2 the best. However, it is done freehand, so no 2 will ever be exactly the same. As for the cat figure, I think cat 2 is more "cat-like". So what I was thinking was this: Put a row of pawprints along the bottom of the flap and up one side. Then put a cat figure at the top at the end of the paw prints. Or do you think it would be too much stuff?

Ciao