Friday, June 29, 2012


With the advent of warmer weather, I have been wearing my hair up quite a bit. I find that ponytails tend to pull and buns do as well. However, hairsticks keep my hair up and don't pull or hurt. I have no idea why the difference, but hey, if it works...

So I went to the dollar store and bought 10 chopsticks for $1. Then , of course, I thought, hey, why not decorate em?  This is my first attempt.

Step one, find nail polish that you already own:


Step 2, paint on a couple of coats  of one: (after wrapping masking tape on the chopstick to make a nice neat line)


Let it dry and then paint a couple of coats of the second polish. Let dry, peel tape and you  have:


A hairstick that your 5 year old might have painted!  Tada!

Seriously, not bad, but not great. Some of the polish managed to leak under the masking tape and the polish started to dry before I was done painting, so the result is NOT a nice smooth finish as I had envisioned.  Might try wrapping the next one with sock yarn.....

As for how to put my hair up, this was the clearest video.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012


ETA: if clicking on it doesn't make it bigger, you can go here

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Bad Hair Hat

We all have days when our hair misbehaves. I like to stuff it in a hat for those days. And summer requires an airy kind of hat. Tada!

perihat onperihat flat

This hat took me a grand total of 2 days to knit. Easy peasy.
Pattern: Persikkavaahto
Yarn: Worsted cotton


Sunday, June 03, 2012

Another Dishcloth, With a Slight Modification

I am on a bit of a dishcloth kick. I figure to knit as many as I feel like and then give them out as little Christmas gifties.  The round dishcloth pattern I have been using has a seam. There is nothing inherently wrong with this, but I wanted the seam to be pretty. Yes, I know I could graft the garter stitch, but I didn't feel like it. So, instead of knitting an extra row before bindoff, I cut the yarn when I was at the centre of the knit (right before bindoff) threaded it though the centre stitches and pulled em tight. THEN I used a spare dpn I had handy, picked up 18 stitches on the cast on row and simply did a 3 needle bindoff to the outside edge. pretty rtseam pretty seam1

tada! A pretty seam.