Thursday, September 21, 2006

Maid to cats

No knitting today. In fact, if you have a weak stomach, skip today's post......

I feel like I am the freaking maid to the freaking cats! In the past 3 days I have cleaned up 2 furballs (gross) and 3 cat pees outside the litterbox. Barely outside the litterbox. On purpose. I had originally thought the cat was in the box but her butt was hanging over the edge when she "cut loose" I've actually seen this happen in the past, so I figured if I got a bigger litterbox, the problem would stop. It did. Until a few days ago. So I bought a new, bigger litterbox. Actually, I bought a baby bathtub. The litterbox I had was the biggest one I could find and it appeared not to be big enough. As it turns out, the problem wasn't the cat's big butt hanging over the side. she just didn't feel like peeing in the box! Arghhghhh! Double gross! So I covered the area arond the box with newspaper and covered that with tinfoil. I've heard that cats don't like stepping on tinfoil, so I'm hoping this will discourage squatting outside the box. So far, so good. But it's only been one day....

On the bright side, the baby bathtub only cost me $8 and change. That's $2 cheaper than the large litterbox. So I just may switch to baby bathtubs instead of litterboxes from now on. They are slightly deeper and longer too. so hopefully they are more efficient. We shall see.