Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Shiny and New

As an incentive to keep with the clean living and healthy food thing, I booked myself in for something called a Slenderquest Body Wrap at my local esthetician's. It's supposed to make you lose inches (although not weight) and detoxify.

First you strip down to your bra and panties. They measure your arms, bust, waist etc. Then they spray you with the amino acids and smear you with seaweed enriched mud. Then the giant tensor bandages get wrapped very firmly around you from ankle to neck. Then they put you in a pod to let the treatment work. The pod is basically a vibrating maassage bed with a lid so that only your head sticks out. It then circulates very warm air around you. For 45 minutes. Quite relaxing, actually.

Finally they pop you out of the pod and unwrap you and re-measure.

I lost a total of 8 inches. Sounds good until you realize that it is from a total of 6 sites. I lost 1 inch off of each thigh accounting for 2 of those inches. The rest were half an inch here and there. One odd side effect is that my guts cramped up something awful a total of 3 times over the next 8 hours and, umm, cleaned themselves out? Did I phrase that genteelly enough?

Overall, it was an interesting and weird experience. I'd rate it a 7 out of 10.

Then I went over to the mall to get my nails done. Yup, it was girly day today! On my way across the parking lot, I saw a shiny new penny. So of course I picked it up. Not 5 steps away I found another penny. Not nearly as new. From 1974, to be exact. That is one old penny. I took it to mean that if you don't look after youself now, you won't stay shiny and will look like the old penny. That had clearly been eroded by salt and sand.