Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Old World

Yesterday, the Yarn Harlot was talking about her "drug dealer's scale". She calls it that becasue it is very sensitive. In fact, it is so sensitive, that when you buy it you have to show identification! Because drug dealers actually DO use them. So do pharmacists. I use one at work on a daily basis. For this reason, when my grandfather passed away, my mother thought it would be appropriate for me to have HIS scales. He used to make dentures and bought gold and silver to make them with. So he had his own portable scale set to make sure he wasn't being ripped off by the person he was buying his supplies from.

The main post unscrews and the whole thing can be stored flat in its velvet case. I've always thought this was a very cool keepsake. The round things on the right are weights. The long silver thing in plastic is a pair of tweezers to use for picking up the very tiny weights that are stored under the black cap.

Ciao