Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Um, Yeah, Not So Much

So, I decided to try a foray into baking to keep myself occupied. No knead bread sounded good. Bread is good, right? And the no knead part would be good for a recovering tennis elbow. Okey dokey. First problem, no cast iron pot. Ah, what the hell, I've got a really good quality stainless steel pot, how much different can it be? Next problem...no instant yeast. Well, yeast is yeast right? I've got dry traditional yeast. I'll just activate the packet in some of the water that you use to mix up the flour.

Result?
Now, I could live with an ugly loaf. But that ripped off part? it is NOT because I wanted to taste the bread. No sirreee. it's here:

Still stuck to the pot. And I mean really stuck. As in I'm gonna hafta soak that puppy off.

At this point, I still had hope. Next time I can flour the pot up. So I tried the bread. Hmmm, not so good. In fact really not good. Chewy all right. Like taffy. Not bread. The inside was baked, but still wet. I guess those subs I made were not such hot ideas.

All in all, I think I'll stick to buying Ace bakery products at my grocery store.

Now THAT'S no fail baking.