Yesterday a lady came in for a prescription. She hoisted her drooling toddler (I presume the kid was teething) onto the counter. Where the kid promptly turned around so his/her feet were pointing at me and proceeded to pick up everything in reach and stuff it in his/her mouth. The scratch pad, the plastic basket, a pen, random forms....thank goodness there were no drugs nearby! Mom was oblivious.
Fast forward. Time to checkout. Mom comes to checkout with drooly baby, 2 bags of potato chips, nursing pads, Smarties and nailpolish. All of which are wet. Not damp, but wet from her kids drool. I had to touch that stuff to scan them out.
The lady did realize she was in a pharmacy, I hope. Where sick people come. So that kid potentially put everything from swine flu to fecal matter in it's mouth. Can you say EEEEWWWWW!!!!? In addition, a nailpolish bottle is narrow enough to get wedged in the kid's trachea. Thus a choking hazard. And nail polish can't be good for you if it comes open.
Also, it is a well known fact that kids are germ factories. Ask anyone who has a kid in daycare. I had to touch that kids spit. It is unhygenic and the ick factor is through the roof. Add in the fact that one of the prescriptions was for the kid, who was, apparently, sick, and the ick factor is multiplied by a kabillion.
Granted, given that I work in the healthcare business, perhaps I am oversensitive, but EEEEWWWWWWW!!! Where's the soap?